[Homestead] A saw blade odyssey

clanSkeen sgian at planetc.com
Sun Nov 7 12:57:18 EST 2004

> So they will
> outcut James" bucksaw or the much faster two-man crosscut by three or four
> factors.

Mebbe, mebbe not.   First your comparison based on muscle power is based on
two sawyers standing by the logs at the ready, chainsaw already running,
with TVO announcing "Gentlemen, strat your sawing!"   But in the real world
you have to buy the saws and maintain them.  The blade for my bowsaw cost
about $8 and if it is as good as the last one I bought like it will last an
entire season.  With a chainsaw you have to add the time it took earn the
money for the fuel, blades, saw itself and the time it takes to sharpen it
(more on that later) One does not sharpen a bowsaw blade.  I tried and the
manufacturer is right, you can't do it.  Second, I don't get firewood by
cutting down the mightiest tree in the forest with a herring.  That's hard
dangerous work.  I seed out copices and dead standing trees 4" to 8" in
diameter, cut them to pickup bed length, then cut them to stove length on a
sawhorse.  The advantage of the extra horspower is less and less as the
sawlog gets smaller in diameter.  By the time a sawyer has hefted the
snarling obscenity, centered the blade, revved up engine, followed through
on the stroke, waited until the momentum of the blade has subsided so he can
reposition the log, or the saw, or both, by that time I've sawed the thing
in half with the bowsaw.

Most of the wood is very hard dried hardwood (did I mention 'hard').  It is
not the ideal environment for the chainsaw which was made more for sappy
wood, the saw cuts less efficiently, is more dangerous than ever, and dulls
more quickly.  On the otherhand I have a peg-toothed blade especially made
for dried wood giving me another small advantage.

As to getting tired, although the average human output might b 1/4 horse,
I'm half horse myself and I imagine that after all this sawing, I generate a
bit more than that.  But with a sharp saw and a good technique,  1/4 hp is a
huge overkill.  I routinely saw for an hour at a time and if I wanted to do
it still short of making a pentance out of it, I could go for three or four.
Don't want to, but I could.  I can't recall being tired from sawing
firewood.

One reason that it is difficult to compare heating wood now of days to you
guys' geezerly past is that my house is hugely insulated, quite modest in
size, and during warm weather we use propane (for as long as it's available
and cheap) for cooking.  Our firewood needs are modest.  It's 7 Nov and so
far we've used somewhat less than a quarter face cord (16") so ar this year.
No big hulking oak trees for me.  Oh, I'd take on, and manage to cut it up,
if one was offered.  But I don't seek them out.  So the 'brrrrtttt" of the
chainsaw, the chainpulling and cursing, the blade sharpening in my case
would be a lot of macho "sound and fury signifying nothing".   Your three
and half to four ration might settle out at one and a half to two ... but
factor in the time spent to earn the money for the mechanical obscenity and
the time to maintain it and I'm probably haning up the saw and going into
supper while your bio-mechanical sawyer is still having his gizzard shaken
loose.

Says I.

James

However, I remember the days on the farm when all the