gmark digest: December 26, 2001

Tony Prete tonyprete at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 27 09:04:16 EST 2001

At 01:29 AM 12/27/2001, you wrote:
>Excuse me for being so forward, but might I suggest the relevant materials
>in my ISAIAH'S NEW EXODUS AND MARK (WUNT or Baker), 183-219?

As far as I'm concerned, no excuses are necessary. Given how long it takes
for a new book to be reviewed (even with SBL's great new on-line service),
I would welcome an author's announcement and brief description of a new
book. To preclude a discussion by those who haven't read the book, the post
might be labeled "Information only," or some such. (So, Rikki, what is the
connection between Isaiah's new exodus and the Gospel of Mark?)

>Dr. Rikki E. Watts (Cantab)         Ph.     (604) 224 3245
>Associate Professor of NT           Fax.    (604) 224 3097
>Regent College
>5800 University Boulevard, Vancouver, V6T 2E4

What I think does necessitate an "excuse me" is a post that announces a
topic, then asks for references (such as the one below that started this
thread--though it's hardly the first). Isn't that what libraries--and
librarians--and for? Special circumstances may necessitate otherwise, but
authors should state this, rather than appear to be asking others to do
their research for them.

> > one of my former students is now writing a thesis on the literary =
> > funtion of the parables in the gospel of mark. are you aware of books or =
> > articles that may be helpful for her?

Anthony Prete
Haddonfield, NJ USA

Masters Candidate