Transfiguration/Resurrection

JFAlward at aol.com JFAlward at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 22:05:08 EDT 2001

Joe Alward:

  > Furthermore, does it not seem much more likely
 > that Mark had one or more of the images in the ten verses above in mind
when
 > he spoke of Jesus' dazzling white clothes?  Can Homer's "well-washed cloak"
 > really compete with Daniel's "clothing whiter than snow," or indeed with
many
 > of the other images in the cited verses?
===============
 Neil Godfrey:

Further, a "well-washed cloak" from a divinity would appear to me to have
more direct similarity with Mark's "such as no launderer on earth could
whiten them" than any of the verses listed above talking about snow and fire
etc.
 =========
Joe Alward:

Let me try to strengthen my case by focusing on its strengths and removing
some of the weaker parts.  Please look more closely at the following possible
antecedents of the "dazzling white" clothes (Mark 9:3) in which Mark had
Jesus clothed:

Daniel 7:9..."As I looked, "thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of
Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow."  Note:  The divine in
Daniel has white clothing, just as did Jesus in Mark.

Psalm 51:7..."wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." Note:  Whiter than
snow is whiter than white, or the brightest white, or dazzling white.  This
person's whiteness represents purification of sin, just as did Jesus' white
clothing in Mark.

Ezekiel 1:26-28..."high above on the throne was a figure like that of a
man... and brilliant light surrounded him....This was the appearance of the
likeness of the glory of the LORD.  Note:  in Ezekiel, the messenger of the
Lord has a "brilliant" appearance; similarly, Mark's Jesus was a messenger of
the Lord, and was "dazzling" in appearance)

Psalm 18:12..."Out of the brightness of his presence.."  Note: Brightness
accompanies the Lord, just as it did with Mark's Jesus in his "dazzling
white" clothes.

Proverbs 13:9..."The light of the righteous shines brightly."  Note:
Brightness connotes righteousness, which Mark's Jesus surely had in
abundance, as suggested by his "dazzling white" clothes.

Daniel 12:3..."Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the
heavens."  Note:  The "dazzling white" appearance of Jesus connotes wisdom.

In contrast, in Odysseus' transfiguration before Telemachus, Homer only has
Athena provide clothes which are suitably clean--"well washed," according to
the translation Dennis used.  In the translation by Samuel Butler, Butler
describes it this way: "As she spoke she touched him with her golden wand.
First she threw a fair clean shirt and cloak about his shoulders."

How can a "well washed" cloak, or a "fair clean shirt and cloak" worn by
Odysseus compare more favorably to the "dazzling white" clothes worn by the
divine Jesus  than, say, the "white as snow" clothing worn by the divine
figure in Daniel?  How, too, can we take note of all of the references above
to brightness and whiteness associated with the divine, the wise, and the
pure in the Old Testament, yet fail to believe that Mark almost certainly had
these images in mind when he put "dazzling white" clothes on the divine,
wise, and pure Jesus?

Finally, I find it extremely difficult to believe that Seneca's eclectic bee
is at work here.  Why would Mark wish his readers to simultaneously hold in
their minds the Scriptural images of "white as snow" clothes, brightness,
whiteness, and brilliance alongside the one of Homer's Athena giving clean or
well-washed clothes to Odysseus?  What would be gained by that?

Articles on Mark's gospel stories and their possible connection to Homer's
epic are found in the "Mark's Gospel" section, and at the bottom of the web
page at http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html