[freetds] freetds and mssql 2008 with name instance and dynamic port allocation?

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 12:41:25 EDT 2010

Hello,
I'm trying to connected to named instance of sql2008. This is not a
default instance. As I read the :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938

I see that 2008 defaults to dynamic allocated port for its named
instances, which means port 1433 is no longer active. (telneting port
1433 does not respond.)
How can I setup freetds to use the name instance, will it figure out
the port number on its own.

 [unixODBC][FreeTDS][SQL Server]Unable to connect: Adaptive Server is
unavailable or does not exist (20009) (SQLDriverConnectW)'

[SQLServer2008]
Description     = Production Server
Driver          = TDS
Trace           = No