[freetds] TDS7 login timezone and collation fields

Plot Lost plot.lost at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 11:17:29 EST 2009

These have fixed values, as follows (see tds.c)

static const unsigned char time_zone[] = { 0x88, 0xff, 0xff, 0xff };
static const unsigned char collation[] = { 0x36, 0x04, 0x00, 0x00 };
As far as I can work out, this means timezone = -120 which I think means
UTC-2, and collation = 1078 which from the locale ID chart means Afrikaans
(see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0h88fahh(VS.85).aspx )

(The TDS protocol doc from MS has the collation value set to 1033 = English
- United States)

Is there any reason for these particular fixed values being used?

Does anyone have any sample collation values that show things like the
options for ignore case, ignore accents etc being set, and does setting this
actually affect the sorting of results?

Do either of time timezone or location ID values affect any of the results
from SQL Server (e.g. changing the value held in datetime fields)

Thanks in advance for any info.