[freetds] Status of UTF-8 support in 0.83 dev

Sebastien FLAESCH sf at 4js.com
Mon Sep 8 05:38:09 EDT 2008

Frediano,

I have just tested latest sources with SQLBindParameter using:

  ParameterType  = SQL_WVARCHAR
  ColumnSize     = 2

It works now but I just wanted to confirm something with you:

When binding with SQL_VARCHAR (no W) with ColumnSize=20, SQL Server
Profile trace shows the parameter for sp_prepare is defined as:

    @P1 VARCHAR(20)

When binding with SQL_WVARCHAR, I see following type:

    @P1 NVARCHAR(40)
                 ^^----!!!

Even if ColumnSize=20 ...

Why 40 and not 20? Is this expected?

It appears that the sp_execute call uses the correct number of blanks:

   N'ab   <18 blanks>  '

So I would rather expect:

    @P1 NVARCHAR(20)

for sp_prepare ... no?