[freetds] DBD::Sybase compatibility

Michael Peppler mpeppler at peppler.org
Mon Jun 2 01:30:14 EDT 2008

Ian Goldstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering how I maintain the DBD::Sybase module if I already have a
> stable working copy of DBD::Sybase.  I currently use this on the Solaris
> platform to successfully connect to Sybase.
>
> It is my understanding from reading the docs, that I need to recompile the
> DBD::Sybase using the Freetds libraries.
> So,  how can I maintain 2 DBD::Sybase modules?  An assumption that should be
> made is that I would never  need to access an SQL Server and Sybase at the
> same time.

I would install one of the builds (e.g. the freetds one) into a
different directory (using perl Makefile.PL LIB=...). Then in the
scripts where this module (freetds) is needed, use a "use lib ..."
statement to pull in that version rather than the Open Client version.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler           -                 Peppler Consulting SaRL
mpeppler at peppler.org      -                  http://www.peppler.org