[freetds] Re: tsql & libtds status

Chris Sharman chris.sharman at ccagroup.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 09:16:21 EDT 2005

,freetds at lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
> Ack.  Don't use libtds directly, it is a support layer for the higher
> level interfaces, and changes from release to release.  Please use
> either dblib, ctlib, or ODBC.  dblib is easiest from a setup &coding
> perspective.  You can look at the unittest programs for examples or
> look on the net, they are plentiful.
>
> Jim et al., let's put a big ass warning in tsql.c not to use libtds, eh?

I've seen mixed opinions here before on whether tsql is
production-ready, or not.

I run freetds on OpenVMS, and use only tsql & libtds to query a MS SQL db.
Mostly I use a home-grown variant of tsql (that does csv output, like ms
query analyser), but I also embedded code from there into one or two
applications that need to do ms sql db queries.

The OpenVMS box doesn't have a database or database client installed on
it, as such, just its native file system. Installing & running one of
the higher level interfaces just to use freetds seems like unnecessary work.

It's been running reliably in our production environment for over a year
now - in fact it's the most reliable part of our fancy new MS solution ;)

Chris

Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not
necessarily those of CCA Group.  The unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying or alteration of this message is forbidden.  The contents of
this message may be confidential and/or privileged, copyright CCA Group
and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed.  Whilst this message has been scanned, CCA Group
cannot guarantee that it is virus free or compatible with your systems
and accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising from its
use. The recipient is advised to run their own anti-virus software. If
you receive this message in error please contact
postmaster at ccagroup.co.uk immediately, destroy any copies and delete it
from your computer systems.