[Magic] Release Management
niclas at hedhman.org
Wed Apr 20 07:31:56 EDT 2005
I am looking into the Magic handling of versioning.
My conclusion is;
* All <project> in index.xml does not have <version> nor <status> elements.
* Version to build is given on the command line as -Ddpml.release.signature,
which is given to all project outputs and written into the module.
* SNAPSHOT has no clear semantic meaning and name is somewhat confusing,
so should be removed from our terminology.
* If no release is in-progress, the project outputs are non-versioned and
considered "development", and can not be published on central
* Transit will disallow overwriting versioned artifacts, but allow overwrite
of non-versioned artifacts.
I will start on this path and gradually transfer stuff in both main/ and
elsewhere, so we can start to get proper release management in place and to
release more often.
More information about the dev-dpml