[Compostteas] Re: Compostteas digest, Vol 1 #74 - 15 msgs

Dave Robison drobison at teleport.com
Mon Jul 15 13:16:43 EDT 2002

At 01:48 AM 7/15/02 -0400, Ed wrote:
>I have a miniature orange tree growing in a solarium. It has been =
>attacked by 'Scale'. Does anyone know if compost or casting tea spray =
>would be effective at eradicating this?

I don't think this is a compost case. To combat scale, you can (1) hand
swab the entire plant with a cotton swab soaked in isopropyl alcohol. Not
exactly organic, but not a persistent chemical either. (2) spray with a
light spray-oil to suffocate the bugs. Best to do this outside to avoid
getting oil stains around. BTW, you probably have to treat any and all
other plants in the solarium. (3) set the plant outside for the summer,
ladybugs etc will clean it up, watch out for sun scald because ti won't be
ready for direct sunlight at first.