[Commons-research] research agenda

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 07:48:36 EDT 2008

Hi, I'm on vacation (sort of) these days and I have a new class to
prepare, so I won't be very reachable these days I'm afraid, but here
is just a short take on Alek's suggestion: I find that it may be
useful, but I would leave it up to individuals to organize such "side-
quests" if they wish to get a particular community together. The way I
see it the main value of the workshop will be the very fact that
multiple disciplinary perspectives will be presented on a common range
of themes. But now if say the lawyers or economists among us wish to
have a separate meeting on the side to discuss what would be an
economics research agenda for commons-relevant issues, that might also
be good, as long as it does not conflict with the program as it stands
(we are not a huge group, so I think it wouldn't be wise at this point
to split everyone into economists, computer scientists, lawyers,
sociologists, etc.).

The discussion session is set for the end of the workshop because by
then participants will have been exposed to a range of perspectives
and will be able to comment on what they see as current or emerging
topics that are worthwhile to pursue further. It is my experience (and
I don't think that it is a very subjective or unique experience) that
the common agenda will emerge in some form out of the presentations
and interactions at the summit - then the last session will hopefully
help us reflect on the commons themes and on the workshop as a whole
before reporting back to the main isummit.

So, in summary, sure, any such initiative like the one Alek is
suggesting is welcome as far as I'm concerned, as long as it does not
weaken the wide participation and cross-disciplinary exchange that is
supposed to be the centrepoint of the workshop. Now if you can
convince say a few law researchers to meet together in the evening or
during lunch to discuss further, then all the better!

Giorgos