two different Felix Obelix shows this weekend, in Durham

Wendy Spitzer felixobelix at
Tue Feb 14 12:34:35 EST 2012

*Felix Obelix is doing two completely different, unusual shows this weekend
in Durham. I hope to see you at one or both of them! And yes, really, these
start at 8:15 and 8:00pm. Really.*

*Wendy & Felix O.*

*Friday, February 17, 8:15pm, Manbites Dog Theatre (703 Foster Street,
Durham, NC) *– Felix Obelix will present a live performance of *Dreams of
the Rarebit Fiend: The Pet*, an animated short from the early 1920s by
Winsor McCay, one of the pioneers of early animation. Felix Obelix will
perform the live, original score to the film, on
organ/xylophone/glockenspiel/auxiliary percussion, in collaboration with
Billy Sug.  This is part of the Strange Beauty Film
 (, and will be included in the Friday night
block of films. Tickets to this performance/film showing can be purchased
at the Manbites Dog <> website:

*Saturday, February 18, 8:00pm, 108 Morris St., Durham, NC* – Felix Obelix
will open for a large-scale sound/art installation by Greensboro geniuses
Invisible <>. (
Entitled, *The New Obsolete, *Invisible will be set up in a Durham
storefront for the month of February, doing weekend performances on a
variety of handmade analog/digital instruments.  One of these will be the
Selectric Piano – a typewriter rigged to “allow a typist to become an
experimental pianist. Each letter typed equals one note played.”  In the
spirit of Invisible, I am going to try, in addition to the regular Felix
Obelix song, to do some live oboe+loop pedal songs.  Billy Sugarfix opens,
wearing a mask, looping a theremin, plus, surprises.  I've been told this
was standing-room only last weekend, so come early to get a spot. $7.

Wendy Spitzer / Felix Obelix
freelance editor/musician
felixobelix at