Slightly OT - Static IP Address

grady grady at ibiblio.org
Thu Feb 28 13:56:04 EST 2008

How asymmetric is the throughput for RR business class? (I'm guessing
they have different rates)

Honestly, speaking as someone who did his own hosting for too many years
(I owned my own box, and had it colocated in a few different
facilities), I have to say that I've never been happier than the day
when I cut over my hosting to a provider who handles all the OS-level
crap for me.

If you're an internet-security fiend who enjoys reading all the
different security-risk lists and keeping up with patches & exploits,
then by all means, host your own box. If you just want to develop
applications, you're going to get higher throughput and a better uptime
SLA for a lot less money from a dedicated hosting provider like
Dreamhost or GoDaddy (not that I'd necessarily recommend GoDaddy, as
they are fuckwads).

I mean, you're gonna pay dearly (>$100+/month, I'd guess) for a static
IP with decent upstream bandwidth from RR or someone similar. You can
get a wide range of hosting options (from simple space on a box, to a
complete virtual host with root access, to your own personal server) for
a monthly charge in that price-range, or well below it, depending on
your needs.

Just my .02,

Ross