Special Double Bill in Saxapahaw This Week - with Wood & Steel, Jimmy Magoo and Arts and Crafts for Kids

heather lagarde heather at barnstarvintage.com
Fri Oct 14 00:36:28 EDT 2005

OCTOBER SCHEDULE - SAXAPAHAW RIVERMILL - SATURDAYS IN SAXAPAHAW
     There are only three more scheduled saturdays this season
                and it's going to be beautiful outside !

This week a special double bill with the unforgettable
Jimmy Magoo & Friends from 4-6.  Mosaic Tiling Arts and crafts for kids
from 4-6 with the Mosaic Rural Wellness Center
and the highly acclaimed piedmont bluegrass wonderband
Wood and Steel headline from 6-8
Performing outdoors in beautiful Saxapahaw on a double haywagon under
christmas lights hung in all the trees on the hills.
www.rivermillvillage.com

Also this month,  Harvest Moon  and Stargazing Paddles on the Haw,
next week THE AMAZING WRINKLE NECK MULES!!  and then a big old
Oktoberfest on October 29th with microbreweries and bunch of bands
including Haw River Waltz, The Hushpuppies, Memphis, and Regina
Hexaphone playing. The restored Saxapahaw Rivermill opens in November
and open house and historic tours continue. Mill Tours run from 5-6
each Saturday.
Farmer's Market 4-7,  PUMPKINS - PUMPKINS - PUMPKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come join us and spread the word to friends and families for this
week's special program - www.rivermillvillage.com

October 15
4:00-6:00 Jimmy Magoo & Friends
Beloved Jimmy Magoo is an award-winning singer/songwriter, actor,
director, composer, playwright, and poet. From his first days as a
member of the Somnambulist Project theater company to his recent
musical scoring of the PaperHand Puppet Intervention show at Chapel
Hill’s Forest Theatre, Jimmy has inspired and delighted audiences of
all ages, shapes and sizes for over a decade. He leads several ongoing
music, theater and performance workshops for kids and adults, and has
recorded seven CDs, including Short & Sweet, his first album for kids.
Often billed as kid's music for grownups and everyone in between.

6:00-8:00	Wood & Steel
An acclaimed piedmont bluegrass band with a reverence for traditional
sound yet unafraid to feather its repertoire with a variety of songs
and styles, from beautifully harmonized original songs to gospel to
bluegrass versions of Dylan.   Each of the musicians in the band is a
bluegrass virtuoso and together Wood & Steel just blows you away and
should not be missed!

October 17 Harvest Moon Paddle  with Haw River Kayak and Canoe Company
Night-time paddles on a 300 acre lake above the dam in Saxapahaw - Call
336.260.6465 to register.

October 22  Wrinkle Neck Mules
Rocking backwoods alt-country, this Virginia, Wyoming, Texas based 5
piece is in demand and unforgettable.   Americana threaded with
haunting moments, beautiful lyrics and Southern Rock Harmonies - get
here to see them cause you won't get in anywhere else!

October 29th Starting at 3:00! It'sOktoberfest!!! Southern BackPorch
Polka Get Down!
This day-long extravaganza is the culmination of our summer/fall series
- Microbreweries and local breweries will be on hand - sausages, polkas
and lots of fun and here's the music line-up!!!!
The Hushpuppies - What truly sets the Hushpuppies apart  and makes them
an outstanding revival old-time band is that they’ve captured the feel
of the music of the elderly fiddle and banjo players they visit and yet
they still sound deliciously like themselves. The Hushpuppies have a
charming rakishness that is all their own yet they capture the essence
of that “old sound” so well that you almost expect to hear the crack of
the needle as it jumps the scratches of the old 78.
Memphis -Some of the best music the south has to offer - garage roots
rock in a winning blend of ageless musical genres. Take the energy of
rock, folk, blues, jazz, rockabilly and psychedelic;  focus them into
musical harmonies, and you get the undiminished soul of MEMPHIS. This
is beautiful stuff in all its ragged, raise-your-glass glory.
Haw River Waltz -Former Rockers are making a special appearance playing
a mishmash of old Americana, Sea Shantys and lots more thrown in for
fun - Haw River Waltz is a brand new venture and proving to be lots of
fun!
Regina Hexaphone -Regina Hexaphone has created some of the most
inventive arrangements to come out of North Carolina this year, with
everything from vibes to lap steel to cello to runway feedback - yes,
runway feedback—on tunes about ice, insects, heroes and lost love.
Pastoral dream music filled with evocative imagery, subtle style and
backed by sublime violin.  Don't miss them!

November 2 Stargazing Paddle -with Haw River Kayak and Canoe Company
Night-time paddles on a 300 acre lake above the dam in Saxapahaw - Call
336.260.6465 to register.

BRING A PICNIC, TOUR THE MILL AND ENJOY SOME GREAT MUSIC ALL IN THE
SPIRIT OF A BEAUTIFUL DAY BY THE RIVER!

For More Information Contact Heather & Tom LaGarde 336 376 5694
heather at barnstarvintage.com

SAXAPAHAW & ENVIRONS NEWS:
There are more and more reasons to come out to Saxapahaw - The
Rivermill will be opening in November,  Benjamin Vineyards is just down
the road and now a local favorite gathering spot is set to re-open as
the community store -

Head down the road for a visit on HWY 87- October 15th is the first of
many entertaining fundraisers to raise $3600 to rent "The Store" (
formerly Remy's/ Cornucopia) for a Community Center & Music Venue.