[cc-sampling] over reacting

MARK / negativland markhosler at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 4 15:55:35 EDT 2004

Boys, boys.....to paraphrase Larry King- "You're both over reacting!"  :)

At 2:21 PM -0500 8/4/04, Christopher M. Kelty wrote:
>oh please.  Creative Commons is not the government, they can do
>whatever they like.

Yes they can, of course. But given how this whole
sampling licence discussion thing was set up by
CC to begin with, with Negativland being the
project leads, and considering that all of our
efforts here have been done on a volunteer basis,
its rather strange that things took this turn
with no discussion about it at all. And even
stranger still is that no one from CC has ever
replied to  any of the comments voiced  here
about it.

Dunno what to make of that. It may simply be that
the CC crew is swamped and underfunded and
overextended and let this thing slide with out
realizing it (?). Kinda sloppy behavior, yep, but
it happens to the best of us! :)

Hopefully some clarification will be forthcoming.

>I think they (actually it's really only 2-3 really
>hard working people) did a pretty good job of trying to incorporate
>feedback from this list. i'm sorry you feel so downtrodden, and i wish
>it could have been different. I wish there had been a worldwide
>plebecite to determine the proper name of the license. but alas, there
>was not.
>
>If it pisses you off, don't use the license! go make your own!

The point of this list is to discuss this stuff,
not just dismiss opinions. David from LOCA is
taking a tone that is a bit over the top for my
tastes, but he is asking some good questions,
nonetheless. Your reply sounds too much  like the
old "hey, if you don't like our country, why
don't you leave!" comment that is directed at
critics of our government.  That kind of thinking
stops healthy debate dead in it's tracks. The
point of this list was to have healthy debate!

mark