Java & Creative Commons Licenses

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Tue Sep 2 13:56:52 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:29:48 -0400, "Susheel Daswani"
<sdaswani at limepeer.com> said:
>    My name is Susheel Daswani.  I'm a software engineer at Lime Wire LLC
> - we produce the world's most popular cross-platform Gnutella client,
> LimeWire.  We have just started a project to integrate Creative Commons
> licenses into the LimeWire client.  We want to make it easy for users
> to flag their content under Creative Commons licenses in addition to
> search for and identify Creative Commons content easily.

Welcome!  This is great news.

>    Since the open-source LimeWire client is written in Java, I was
> wondering if there are any preexisting Creative Commons Java
> implementations.  I haven't been able to find any but I wanted to make
> sure before we started this effort.  If not, we will make available our
> implementation under the GPL.

Sorry, no Java code available.

>    I'm currently in the process of attempting to understand the RDF and
> metadata format of CC licenses.  I'm sure I'll have questions so expect
> e-mails in the future :) .

We're very eager to help :) .

You probably already know this, but the key page to understand is
<http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/metadata/implement>
and since you're working on a P2P application
<http://creativecommons.org/learn/technology/nonweb>.
--
  Mike Linksvayer