[cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial

Whelan, Darius D.Whelan at ucc.ie
Fri Jan 13 04:30:38 EST 2012

Two quick comments:

1) Splitting the licences into Non-Commercial and Non-Profit would lead to an increase in the number of licences offered to users, and over-complicate the licence selection process.  It would also lead to increased problems regarding licence compatibility etc.  We should be loooking at fewer licences in an ideal world rather than more.

2) In the education sector, the "non-profit" (or even non-commercial) category can perhaps lead to unintended consequences where some universities / colleges may be proft-making and some not.  For example in Ireland we have private colleges which have good reputations but might not be able to use material issued under a non-prooft or non-commercial licence.

Darius

http://www.ucc.ie/law/irishlaw/creativecommons/ <http://www.ucc.ie/law/irishlaw/creativecommons/>