[cc-licenses] 4.0 NonCommercial

jmp m.pedersen at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 05:17:55 EST 2012

On 13/01/12 02:47, Ben Finney wrote:
> Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com>
> writes:
>> A non-profit license would be nice, but a serious question: Can anyone
>> come up with a globally applicable definition of non-profit?
> I have another serious question: Why is a non-profit license nice? It's
> not obvious to me, and it doesn't fit with the ideals of free culture as
> I understand them.
> Why should it matter whether culture, freely shared to all recipients
> under non-discriminatory terms and permitting further sharing the same
> way, is making a profit? That strikes me as something to be celebrated,
> rather than denied through a license clause.

Because the *particular* nature of profit making in this context (the
world in which we live) is a function of an economic philosophy of
continuous expansion, which treats (natural) resources as inifinite.
Some people have discovered that this is in fact not the case - the
world is finite and the natural resources are running out - and
therefore these people are building movements and trying to find ways to
reverse this destructive economy. Not making profit is seen as one way
of doing this.

"...I thought we were an autonomous collective..."