[cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Sat Apr 21 11:00:39 EDT 2012

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:58:29 +0100 Rob Myers wrote:

> On 04/18/2012 06:28 PM, Francesco Poli wrote:
> >
> > Exactly, and I think the case of digital works is especially
> > illuminating, since there's no source availability requirement in
> > current CC-by-sa: as a consequence, one can distribute a
> > CC-by-sa-licensed digital work in a format that really hampers
> > modifications, without being compelled to make source code (== the
> > preferred form for making modifications) available in parallel.
>
> Once can, but unlike with DRM one cannot have people fined or imprisoned
> if they decide they are going to do the work of translating the work to
> a more useful format.

This is certainly true.
Indeed, I have already acknowledged that DRM is worse than source
secrecy...

[...]
> Essentially, if we don't object to DRM
[...]

But I *do* object to DRM, as I have previously stated.

I just want to make sure that we fight against DRM with Free
restrictions, rather than with non-free restrictions.
Otherwise, the cure is worse than the disease.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!