[cc-licenses] Aggregation and Stronger SA

David Chart bydosa at davidchart.com
Wed Apr 18 06:03:45 EDT 2012

On 2012/04/16, at 23:09, drew Roberts wrote:

>> In any case, I suggest this as a way to make the 4.0 copyleft a bit
>> stronger.
>
> I say that is not enough stronger and we can make it stronger still without
> adverse effects for those wanting to operate in the Free World.

I know that my proposal doesn't meet your requirements, but then I disagree with your requirements.

More objectively, your proposal would replace an implicit permission in version 3 with an explicit prohibition in version 4. I really don't think that's a good idea for something this broad. Apart from anything else, I, personally, do want to allow aggregation with non-free works, but require sharealike for actual adaptations.

I do have a question for clarification. I can see how the CD case restricts your freedoms in the future. I don't see how the illustrated book goes beyond that. If my proposal does what I intend, you can strip the text out of the book and distribute your photographs in that layout. This would appear to preserve your freedom to use your works, or anyone else's BY-SA works.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/