[cc-licenses] Subject Matter: Semiconductor Masks and Design Rights

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Apr 13 15:47:09 EDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 12:24 AM, Christopher Covington wrote:
> For whatever it's worth, I think semiconductor mask rights are so
> similar to copyright that they should be given the same
> treatment--licensed rather than waived. Design patents should probably
> be treated similarly to traditional patents. I for one am in favor of an
> explicit patent grant. I don't have much more than a piecemeal
> understanding of all the issues and a gut feeling to motivate these
> positions, however.

One problem is that the CC 4.0 licenses will be used internationally. So
if you are in a country with mask rights but I am not, and I am in a
country with design rights but you are not, and we use each others work
then we may not be bound by the license in the way that the licensor
expects.

(I am not a lawyer, etc.)

Do people support licensing rights even where this is the case? For me
this is a key question.

- Rob.