[cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Thu Apr 12 14:56:04 EDT 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:06:55 -0400 Anthony wrote:

[...]
> Also, I find it strange that CC would take such a hard line against
> DRM, while at the same time providing the unquestionably non-free NC
> licenses.

Indeed.

Moreover, CC currently takes this hard line against DRM (through an
anti-DRM clause that I consider non-free), but, at the same time, *no*
CC license (not even CC-by-sa!) requires source availability, as
discussed in another thread on this same mailing list.

I think this is very awkward: you *can* distribute CC-by-sa-licensed
material in a format that hampers modifications (while keeping your
preferred form for modification for yourself), but you *cannot*
absolutely apply even the weakest form of DRM, not even if you make
DRM-unencumbered copies available in parallel!

I acknowledge that DRM is worse than source secrecy, but anyway, what I
described above looks like a sort of self-contradiction...

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!