[cc-licenses] Version 4:0: second draft suggested change to definition of "noncommercial"

David Chart bydosa at davidchart.com
Sun Apr 8 10:09:00 EDT 2012

On 2012/04/08, at 4:31, Heather Morrison wrote:

> For the
> avoidance of doubt, educational use - teaching and learning - is
> Noncommercial, and permitted by this Public License, while selling the
> content for profit, or including the content in a package intended for
> sale for profit is Commercial, and prohibited by this Public License.

This is better, but I don't think this works either.

After thinking about what should go in this email, I have come to the conclusion that I think it fails because it doesn't remove doubt. I'm completely unclear on what you want to allow and what you want to prohibit in an educational context in which the teacher is being paid for the course (that is, a commercial educational context). If I give copies to the students as part of the course, it looks as though the content is included in a package (the course) that is intended for sale for profit. If I don't give the students copies, then the license doesn't come into play, because I'm not distributing copies.

Thinking about this further, in an educational context, can't I just require the students to get their own copies of the CC-NC material? If I'm at a university, we can put it on the university server. They are clearly allowed to get their own copies and look at them while I talk about them, after all. But if that's the case, there is no doubt.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/