[cc-licenses] Version 4:0: suggested change to definition of "noncommercial"

David Chart bydosa at davidchart.com
Sat Apr 7 02:29:57 EDT 2012

On 2012/04/05, at 10:29, Heather Morrison wrote:

> For the
> avoidance of doubt, educational use - teaching and learning - is
> Noncommercial, and permitted by this Public License, while including
> the content in a package intended for sale to educational institutions
> for profit is Commercial, and prohibited by this Public License.

I'd like to reiterate my opposition to this. Education can be commercial or non-commercial in the same way as any other activity, and can be judged by the same standard: does the educator make money off it? Commercial education use strikes me as a clear example of commercial use. I think it would be deeply unfair to people who have used earlier NC licenses to change the meaning in this way.

Your wording still lets me sell absolutely anything NC as part of a "course pack" for a "distance learning course", incidentally. I'm selling to the "students", not an educational institution.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/