[cc-licenses] 4.0 draft ready for public comment

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Wed Apr 4 17:39:58 EDT 2012

Hi Luis,

Glad you like the draft, and thanks for raising the question of how to best
comment.  The primary forum for substantive discussions will continue to be
this list.  The 4.0 wiki <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0> supports
this discussion forum, serving as a place where conversations can be
distilled from various threads and where we will document drafting
decisions in each published draft.  But for those not wanting to raise a
substantive issue on the list, the wiki is the next best place at this
time.  We monitor that daily.

We have talked about using Co-ment or a similar tool to facilitate
commenting on specific license language later in the process.  We haven't
deployed that yet.  For the past 3 months we've held an open requirements
gathering period to encourage discussion of policy asks and issues.
 Without a first draft, this seemed the most sensical means for gathering
input.  Now that we have a first draft in circulation, we are revisiting
these other tools as possible mechanisms for gathering more detailed
comments.

It bears emphasis that we're still early in the process.  At this point,
we'd prefer to keep focus on issues that remain
unsettled<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Draft_1#Feedback_requests.2C_including_topics_and_policies_still_under_consideration>or
could benefit from further public discussion to progress before draft
is published.  We hope to see discussions involving those issues unfold on
this list, or the wiki if that's the contributor's preference, in which
case CC will post those generically to the license-discuss list to
facilitate feedback.

How those issues get addressed will result in changes to the legal code in
draft #2.  Everyone is of course welcome to comment at any level of detail
at any time.  For improvements to phraseology and similarly specific
comments that may not seem significant enough to post to this list, feel
free to post those on our Sandbox page
here<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Sandbox#Language_Changes>
.

Diane