[cc-licenses] Simplifying Licenses

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 4 00:35:22 EST 2009

Arthit Suriyawongkul <arthit at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:12 AM, ⸘Ŭalabio‽ <Walabio at macosx.com> wrote:
> >        CC-BY-SA is the GoldStandard of licenses.  In a perfect world,
> > everything would be CC-BY-SA
> >
> >        CC-BY-NC-SA is the necessary evil.  We should discourage it but allow
> > it.
>
> From the consumer point of view, I myself see little difference
> between by-sa and by-nc-sa, as even by-sa doesn't restrict the
> commercialization, the sa condition provide an alternative to the
> commercial anyway.

The mistake in this perspective is that the true “consumer” doesn't
really exist. People are using copyrighted material in all sorts of
commercial contexts: wait-staff playing some music at a restaurant, a
company employee pasting some images in a report, a movie clip being
played in a training seminar, etc.

These people don't *think* of themselves as requiring license to use
the work commercially, and they're not going to seek out such a
license; but of course they do require it.

Putting an NC clause on a work is restricting the freedom of these
people, with no real benefit to the copyright holder since they're
never going to see money for those uses anyway.

--
 \      “[Entrenched media corporations will] maintain the status quo, |
  `\       or die trying. Either is better than actually WORKING for a |