[cc-licenses] Open data commons database licence (draft) now out

Jordan Hatcher's lists lists at twitchgamer.net
Tue Sep 25 06:35:14 EDT 2007

Apologies for cross posting
_____

I would like to announce the draft Open Data Commons Database
licence, created by myself and Dr. Waelde of the AHRC Research Centre
for Intellectual Property and Technology law.  Special thanks go to
Talis for sponsoring the creation of this licence.
http://www.talis.com/

You can read more about their reasons for sponsoring its creation at
Nodalities:
http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2007/09/
seeking_a_licence_for_open_dat.php

The Open Data Commons licence is an attempt at a worldwide licence
for databases following in the footsteps of other open /free/libre
licences in both software and content.  In Creative Commons terms it
is an SA licence.

The blog post announcing its release is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/2007/09/24/open-data-commons-licence-
now-out/
Or try: http://tinyurl.com/32ekh6

The homepage on my site for information related to the licence is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/

The draft text of the licence itself is located here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-database-licence/

Because we separated out the Data from the Database in the licensing,
a supplemental BSD/MIT style licence for the data, intended for
factual information rather than other "contents of a database" is here:
http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-data-commons-factual-
info-licence/

I've set up a discuss list specifically for the licence here:
opencontentlawyer.com

Any comments or thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!

~Jordan

____
Mr. Jordan S Hatcher, JD, LLM

jordan at opencontentlawyer dot com
IP/IT Blog: http://twitchgamer.net

Usage of Creative Commons by cultural heritage organisations
<http://www.eduserv.org.uk/foundation/studies/cc2007>

"The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on Information Technology Based
Business"
<http://ssrn.com/abstract=984864>