[cc-licenses] Non-commercial ***advertising revenue***

Roger Chrisman roger at rogerchrisman.com
Fri Mar 9 19:19:08 EST 2007

I heard mention of a "clarification" to the CC Non-commercial license
element that allows advertising such as Google Ads. Anyone know more
about this "clarification" and where it is written?

I looked for it in the CC Non-commercial license element but I don't
think I found it there and the element seems vague and wide open to
interpretation to me. Here is NC license element *4c* of by-nc-sa-3.0
[1] (identical but for the typo "con-nection" to element *4b* of
by-nc-nd-3.0 [2] and by-nc-3.0 [3]):

       "You may not exercise any of the rights granted to You in Section
3 above in any manner that is ***primarily*** intended for or directed
toward commercial advantage or private monetary compensation. The
***exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works*** by means of
digital file-sharing or otherwise shall not be considered to be
intended for or directed toward commercial advantage or private
monetary compensation, provided there is no payment of any monetary
compensation in ***con-nection*** with the exchange of copyrighted
works." (asterisks added for emphasis)

* What in the NC element clearly allows sites to sell ad space around NC
content?

* Anyone know why the word "primarily" is used as a qualifier and what
it could mean as such?

* Why mention "exchange of the Work for other copyrighted works"? What
is that for?

* Why have the typo "con-nection" in by-nc-sa-3.0? Who can I email to
have that typo corrected?

Any answers much appreciated.

I favor BY-SA licenses over NC licenses, myself, but I try to understand
what's up when folks choose NC licenses and then put Google Ads on
their site, too.

Thanks!

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/legalcode
[2] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/legalcode
[3] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/legalcode

--
Roger Chrisman  :-)          http://Wikigogy.org    -     free resources
                 for teachers of English as a second or foreign language