[cc-licenses] multiple licenses of same image

Mia Garlick mia at creativecommons.org
Mon Jan 15 14:56:08 EST 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 6:28 AM, Peter Brink wrote:

[cut]

> In my book the low and high resolution images are the same work. The
> license is obviously worded so that all versions of a work (but not
> derivative works created by the licensor) are covered by the license.
> All versions or editions of a work are thus covered by the grant in
> section 3 (license grant). So - yes - if you offered a low resolution
> image under BY-SA, the high resolution image (being the same work)
> would
> also be available under the same terms.

this is not the way CC licenses work and contravenes the language of
the license and its intent. this has already been explained on this
list.  eg., just because larry releases a PDF version of his book
under a CC license, does not give you the right to walk into any
bookstore and demand a free copy of the hardcopy or exercise rights
possible in respect of the PDF with regard to the hardcopy.