[cc-licenses] 'Attribution' condition human-readable summary misleading

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Thu Aug 9 13:27:48 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-08 at 12:14 -0400, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> >         Attribution. You must credit the author or organization by name;
> >         [...]
>
>  The actual license allows attribution to be replaced through
> a service provider's terms of service, for example. If I read the
> above text I would be utterly *shocked* to see the alternative credit
> as per the license.

Really?! My intention with "or organization" was to cover so-called
"Attribution Parties". I thought that was kind of clear.

Although it's conceivable that the licensor would designate an
individual as the attribution party, it's by far the most common case
that they designate* an organization they're somehow associated with.

-Evan

* Either by careful choice or by agreeing to a Web site's terms of
service.

--
Evan Prodromou - evan at prodromou.name - http://evan.prodromou.name/