[cc-licenses] CC homepage

Elad Wieder ewieder at creativecommons.org.il
Wed Apr 25 11:57:15 EDT 2007

Since copyright laws prevent by default any freedoms from any user (but for
the fair-use exception, which becomes narrower every day), even a
CC-BY-NC-ND license gives the user (or some users) freedoms the didn't have
otherwise. It may not be the scope of freedom we would like them to have,
but it's freedom none the less, and should not be underestimated.

Now, when somebody comes and claims ownership on the work "freedom", as if
it was his certificate to grant - this contradicts the very sense of "Free
as in free speech".