[cc-licenses] Is "podsafe" music affected by CRB rulings

Lucas Gonze lucas.gonze at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 17:42:11 EDT 2007

On 4/6/07, Eric Garner <ejgarner at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jammin' Jenny is not a lawyer so she
> doesn't understand the wide-ranging implications of
> using the NC license. When she clicks that radio
> button she's probably thinking, "Hell no, I don't want
> some dude making money by selling MY music!" What she
> doesn't realize, though, is that she's effectively
> making her music off-limits to the honest webcaster
> who can help her music get heard, too.

But that's a communication problem, not a license problem.  The thing
to do is help Jenny learn how to use free licenses.

Programmers go through this learning process too.    When to use a
BSD, GPL, or LGPL license?

Requiring learning is OK.  People can do this.

That's especially true with the NC licenses, which a whole generation
of creators are exploring by doing the wrong thing.  Let them go
wrong.  They will discover that NC work disappears into a dead zone,
while SA becomes part of a thriving ecosystem, and the next time
around they will know.

The best thing we can do to help Jamming Jenny is not pander to her
misunderstanding.