[cc-licenses] specific questions about the CC licenses
thierryk2005 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 05:09:16 EDT 2006
I am writing you from France. I am creating a new book publishing company
focused on parenting and character building for children. We will create on
line (blog, web site) and off line content (books, brochure, poster,
As a strong open source advocate (biz angel in
www.Mandriva.com<http://www.mandriva.com/>and co-founder of
www.intalio.com and advior of www.ulteo.com), I plan to use a common
creative license for all work done for my new company. But I would like to
make sure of a few points because I have very limited knowledge of open
license for text, images and sound:
1. If I decide to use the *Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.0 France
, does it apply only to France or all French speaking countries and even to
any countries (I plan to have the books in different languages and people
could decide to get a book in a specific language that is not the national
language) ? How do we know it will be valid and enforced ?
2. The books will include a fairly important part of illustrations: Should I
use then both the text and image license at the same time for each book ?
3. About the non commercial aspect: I understand that I can decide to sell
or not our products but someone else cannot resell/sell our content, correct
4. Do we need an express authorization of every author when it is a multi
authors book or only the publishing decides and authorizes the use of the
5. Sharealike: I udnerstand that under this specific license
someone can make derivatives product BUT not sell them (ie, the
modifications or the derivative product, correct ?
6. Can my publishing company sell those derivatives by default or do I need
to negotiate this point with the author(s) of the modifications ?
7. Finally but not least, can someone just print the on line content or scan
the books and reprint them and give ithem away for free or at not profit,
ie, still sell it but at cost ?
Thank you very much for your help and keep up the good work
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the cc-licenses