[cc-licenses] More on NC (was: Re: New Generic and ports)

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Mon Oct 9 16:52:05 EDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, at 23:15, Rob Myers wrote:

> NC doesn't ensure that you make money from your work, it simply
> prevents
> other people from doing so.

Exactly. NC is about people being concerned about other people making
money. What they should be concerned about is making money themselves.

FWIW, every time I have had income from writing software, I have
stood on the shoulders of Free Software authors (regardless of
whether the software I have written has been Free or proprietary--I
have written both). If everyone else had been busy ensuring that no
one else makes money, I couldn't have made money that way. And not
being able to make money would have been unfortunate for me--and
that's something that I care and should care about. Someone else
might make money, too. Good for them.

Free Software is not anti-business as is sometimes claimed. NC,
however, is. If the licensor hasn't figured out a business model or
isn't even looking for one, NC prevents others from building business
on what is potential usefulness for others but unused surplus for the
licensor--or any attempt degenerates to the permission culture.

> With BY-SA you can at least exploit downstream derivative work.
> This may
> be more protection than NC-SA, as people will understand that they
> have
> to give back.

CC-by-sa is also better for you in the sense that if someone else
modifies your work, his/her NC doesn't take away *your* possibility
of making money if you figure out a business model. With CC-by-nc-sa,
once other have had their input, *you* can't do business even if a
business model was handed to you on a silver platter.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/