[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Mar 6 15:52:44 EST 2006

On Monday 06 March 2006 01:59 pm, Adam Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 10:48:27AM -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Reuse metrics are very hard to come by.  I don't even think I've heard
> > of any for free/open source software, though with a large corpus of
> > source code it should be possible do some brute force analysis.  One of
> > the reasons we developed ccMixter was to show the world that building
> > reuse tracking into a content site is practical, thus making reuse
> > tracking possible.  We're encouraging this practice to spread, see
> > http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5784
>
> [...]
>
> I raised an earlier question, which I think is a good one. If people
> aren't reusing content, why not? What rights would they like that they
> either aren't getting or which they may have but aren't clear?

Let me answer this from my personal point of view. I will re-use BY and BY-SA
licensed works and release my works based on them as BY-SA. In doing this,
everything is neat and clean and I am happy that I kind of know what I am
doing.

I am trying to convince myself to release some "throw-away" works on ccmixter
as straight BY since they no longer permit SA works, but that is another
issue. I really don't want people taking my stuff and making it anything more
restricted than BY-SA, but I do want to take part in ccmixter so I am working
on my attitude/mindset.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145