[cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Mon Mar 6 13:48:27 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 15:39 +0000, rob at robmyers.org wrote:
> "At MashupCamp the other day, I addressed a couple of my concerns about Creative
> Commons to Larry Lessig."
>
> http://www.sourcelabs.com/blogs/ajb/2006/02/creative_commons_is_broken.html

        The problem is not meta-data because it's not about finding the
        right license for a specific need, the problem is that vague and
        unecessary license clauses pollute the license ecosystem
        creating a huge licensing mess.

I think Alex Bosworth means that metadata is not the solution.  He's at
least partially wrong.  If he doesn't want to [re-]use content licensed
with clauses he doesn't like (presumably NC and ND) metadata can help
him avoid such content.

His list of licenses that exist in the wild is slightly off.  #15 is not
a license, #16 is a duplicate of #3, #7-#11 are barely used and you
can't currently select any of them via creativecommons.org/license and
the three sampling licenses and especially developing nations license
are very little used.  Public Domain is not a license, though it is my
favorite option. :)

Reuse metrics are very hard to come by.  I don't even think I've heard
of any for free/open source software, though with a large corpus of
source code it should be possible do some brute force analysis.  One of
the reasons we developed ccMixter was to show the world that building
reuse tracking into a content site is practical, thus making reuse
tracking possible.  We're encouraging this practice to spread, see

I see that Mia already mentioned the NonCommercial guidelines, but they
haven't been publicized enough, so a redundant link --

  Mike Linksvayer
  http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21