[cc-licenses] "License"? (CC-BY-SA - GFDL compatibility proposal)

wiki_tomos wiki_tomos at inter7.jp
Fri Jan 20 01:26:25 EST 2006

Here is one minor question, just in case it helps anything.

In the proposed draft to make CC-BY-SA partly compatible with GFDL,
I see repeated use of the term "applicable License." From the context,
I think it means CC-BY-SA of certain versions, any jurisdiction, and/or
GFDL. But I was under the impression "License" (with capital L)
is a word reserved for CCPL. GFDL is not among them. Is this
wording okay? Or is it possibly inprecise or confusing? I am not sure.

GPL is arguably one of CCPL, I suppose, given that there is CC-GPL
http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl and the site says
"for those licensing software, we offer the GNU GPL and GNU LGPL licenses."
(http://creativecommons.org/about/licenses/meet-the-licenses ).
Perhaps there will be a similar treatment of GFDL by CC?

In any case, I thought I would point this out so that we don't
have to face the question later when we use the licensed work
or resolve the dispute regarding proper/improper use.

Best Regards,

Tomos