[cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - NonCommercial Guidelines

Mia Garlick mia at creativecommons.org
Tue Jan 10 20:53:48 EST 2006

So the topic of what constitutes a "noncommercial use" under those
Creative Commons licenses that contain the NonCommercial license
option has been a perennial source of debate over the years. Shortly
after I first started with Creative Commons, I posted an
interpretation of "noncommercial" to the cc-education list (http://
lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-education/2005-April/000278.html)
which was consistent with that community's understanding of the term
but which then seemed to cause considerable consternation on the cc-
licenses list (http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2005-
April/002160.html). This also lead to what may be able to be
described as one of the most comprehensive noncommercial use cases
list in the history of, well, a lot of things (http://
wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/NonCommercial_use_cases).

To reconcile the otherwise potentially different views of different
CC communities and try to clarify some of the easier and more
realistic use cases, we at CC and through our international network
of affiliates (http://creativecommons.org/worldwide/) have been
working over many months (with the invaluable assistance of one of
our summer interns - Laura Lynch (http://creativecommons.org/about/
people#19) who spent her summer on the issue - on trying to draft
possible guidelines on what does and what does not constitute a
noncommercial use. Obviously, it's not possible to define
noncommercial for every single situation. However, we have attempted
to craft these guidelines to resolve some of the more common and
pressing questions about what is and what is not a noncommercial use
in the CC world.

These guidelines have undergone tremendous internal debate and
discussion amongst staff and our international affiliates. They have
been considerably improved and revised in the process so,
particularly in light of the most recent discussion on the list
(http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2006-January/
003104.html) we thought now would be a great opportunity to expand
the debate and invite more analysis, debate and discussion from all
of you who are also heavily involved in the practices and application
of CC licenses.

Please note - these guidelines are not set in stone; they are a draft
subject to debate, discussion and refinement by all those who adopt
CC licenses and use CC licensed content, ie. you. Let us know what
you think.