What happens to the GPL in FPGA & VLSI implementations?

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Sun Mar 20 10:16:43 EST 2005

drew Roberts said:
> Not that I disagree with the analysis or the intention behind it... but...
> binaries are a functional strin of 1s and 0s and yet aren't they considered a
> copyrighted derivative of the copyrighted source they came from.
>
> Is this just another special exception to the rules?

No, because the string of 1's and 0's still REPRESENT something
rather than being the THING-ITSELF.

A computer then reads the 1's and 0's and then does something
based on how it interprets those numbers. But the 1's and 0's
are still a representation, not the thing itself.

10101010010101010 -> clear register A
01010010100101001 -> increment register A
01001010101010100 -> jump to address 10100

That the representation is machine-readable does not change
the fact that it is still something that you or a machine
READS and then INTERPRETS whatever it REPRESENTS.