CC licenses and "moral rights"

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Fri Mar 18 15:17:46 EST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 02:30 pm, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Peter Knupfer, H-Net wrote:
> > How does the CC by-attribution/noncommercial/noderivatives license
> > affect a licensor's exercise of moral rights in a text?
>
> [snip]
>
> > Outside the license, the author can refuse permission.  Is this a correct
> > interpretation of the license?
>
> The license has this clause:
>
>    If You create a Collective Work, upon notice from any Licensor You must,
>    to the extent practicable, remove from the Collective Work any reference
>    to such Licensor or the Original Author, as requested.
>
> Perhaps that covers the scenario you posed?

Doesn't just mean you can't use his name but you can still use his work? I
think what was wanted was to deny use of the work itself.

When I release my stuff CC BY-SA, I know I run the risk of having my wprk used
against me. My hope is that as things like CC spread, people will wise up
some to the fact that more freedoms make these sorts of things possible and
will be more wary of them.