Concerns: CC-BY and Debian

Daniel Carrera dcarrera at math.umd.edu
Thu Mar 10 18:41:02 EST 2005

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:

> What about the GNU FDL? It was designed for software manuals, especially
> software manuals for free software. Is there some reason you'd prefer
> the CC licenses over the FDL?

Yes, there are concerns. One practical concern is that it's not one of the
allowed licenses at OpenOffice.org. That doesn't mean "we hate it".
Rather, OOo keeps a (very short) list of approved license, and expanding
it is like pulling teeth.

Traditionally, the only license allowed for documentation was Sun's Public
Documentation License. The community council recently approved the CC-BY
license, and I'm seizing the opportunity to pick something better.

There are also freedom-related issues. The CC-BY license is A LOT more
free than the GNU FDL. Debian has major issues with it. Enough to merit a
position statement:

http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml

Contrast this with the CC-BY, where Debian feels that it is "almost" free.
They agree that the intent is obviously "free". And they are just
concerned about some details of word choice.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera          | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today!  | I want it Tuesday.