software licenses

selussos mgr at
Thu Mar 4 22:35:00 EST 2004

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Linksvayer" <ml at>
To: "selussos" <mgr at>; "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses at>
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 10:08 PM
Subject: Re: software licenses

> selussos wrote:
> > I was looking at the site and I see that I links to CC for a human understandable version of their license, yet no where on CC do you really say that you cover Software.
> > I would like to use the to explain our
> > license in plain English but should I or would that be misleading?
> I guess you must be looking at
> <>.  Only the
> documentation is under a CC license.  Unfortunately they have copied the
> deed rather than linked to <>.

Yes I noticed that.

> Creative Commons licenses aren't intended for software
> <>, but in theory you could
> use one.
> Note that we're now offering CC packaging (human readable deed and
> machine readable metadata) for the GPL
> <> and LGPL
> <>, and could do the same
> for other software licenses in the future.

I think it funny that you link to the site instead of the alias for the Free Software Foundation link ;-)  We use on our site
the FSF one.

Unfortunately we cannot do GPL but must offer something in the MIT/X/BSD
variation see:, which is why I thought
the link to would be good.
Will you be doing something like that in the near future?  If so I could justw
wait and link then if you think that would be clearer.

As you can I am looking for _clarity_ since we've been getting so many
questions on our rather simple license.  Thanks for your quick response.

Best Regards