Copyright of derivative work released under a CC licence

Raffaello Tesi lello at ee.oulu.fi
Thu Dec 2 16:51:36 EST 2004

Greg London wrote:

> If your work is really a >translation< from one language to another,
> (if you took his code and did a simple one-for-one translation
> to the new language) then I think it qualifies as a derivative.

No, it cannot be by no means qualified as a one-to-one translation. To
make the appearance (layout and feature of the website) look as close as
possible to the original (and yet, it doesn't) the new code is really
different (also in philosophy, not only because it's programmed in
another language) from the original one.

Raffa