[cc-info] CREATIVE COMMONS NEWS, Nov. 2004

Glenn Otis Brown glenn at creativecommons.org
Thu Nov 18 14:39:48 EST 2004

CREATIVE COMMONS NEWS

Welcome to the Creative Commons newsletter. There's far too much of
news to report in this small space, so we hit only the big highlights
here. To follow our regular progress, subscribe to our weblog,
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/rss> and watch
<http://creativecommons.org>.

November 18, 2004
(cc) Some Rights Reserved.

-----------
CONTENTS/SUMMARY:

(1) THE WIRED CD: Creative Commons = 21st Century copyright?
<http://creativecommons.org/wired/>

(2) MOZILLA'S FIREFOX 1.0: The web's best browser now ships with unique
Creative Commons search technology.
<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/>

(3) EXPANSION: We've brought on key leadership personnel as Science
Commons opens and the International Commons maintains its explosive
growth.
http://creativecommons.org/press-releases/entry/5054

(4) INTERNATIONAL COMMONS: We now offer nine country-specific versions
of our copyright licenses, with another dozen in draft -- and several
dozen in the works.
<http://creativecommons.org/worldwide/>

(5) SITE REDESIGN: Adaptive Path and our beloved Matt Haughey have
given CC a makeover.
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4479>

(6) PRESS HITS: A slew of media mentions for Creative Commons.
See below for a recent list or <http://creativecommons.org/press/> for
the full archive.

(7) MORE: Developments to watch

-----------

(1) THE WIRED CD

(a) We're on the cover of what the Chicago Tribune calls "the best
magazine in America": WIRED Magazine. You've got about another week or
two to grab the November issue from the newsstands. In case you've been
living underground this month: The issue ships with a 16-song CD
including tunes by the Beastie Boys, Gilberto Gil, David Byrne, Le
Tigre, Matmos, and many others. All the songs are filesharing- and
sampling-friendly under Creative Commons sampling licenses -- as WIRED
says, "It's copyright for the 21st century."

The WIRED spread, by the way, is amazing: pieces by Thomas Goetz,
Lawrence Lessig, Hilary Rosen (yes, that Hilary Rosen), and Julian
Dibbell (on Brazil as "open-source nation").

<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/sample.html>
<http://creativecommons.org/wired/>

(b) Press hits on the WIRED CD:

Too many to list here -- NY Times, Wall Street Journal, NPR, and many
more. See below (under (6) Press) for a full list of links, or see
<http://creativecommons.org/press/>.

(c) NYC Benefit Concert

Read more about the bash -- featuring Gilberto Gil and David Byrne --
that WIRED threw on CC's behalf to kick off the WIRED CD:

<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4415>.

(d) More soon:

Watch our site for some very interesting follow-up projects on the
WIRED CD:

<http://creativecommons.org/wired> .

-----------

(2) MOZILLA'S FIREFOX 1.0

(a) Mozilla's industry-leading browser Firefox 1.0 debuted recently.
That's good news in and of itself, but here's the icing on the cake:
Firefox 1.0 also ships with Creative Commons' unique search technology
built into its toolbar (alongside the search services of Google, Yahoo,
Amazon.com, Dictionary.com, and eBay).

(b) Get Firefox

Download the web's best browser now: <http://www.mozilla.org/>.

(c) Try out the CC Search

Our newly updated search engine, powered by Nutch.org, is
one-of-a-kind. Full copyright applies to most stuff on the web, but our
search engine can help you find photos, music, text, and other works
whose authors want you to re-use it for some uses -- without having to
pay royalties or ask permission first.

My favorite example: Try looking for Creative Commons-licensed images
of the Eiffel Tower . . .
<http://search.creativecommons.org/index.jsp?
q=eiffel+tower&format=Image>.

(d) More about CC Search:
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4388>.

-----------

(3) EXPANSION

(a) We've brought on key leadership personnel as the new Science
Commons opens and our International Commons maintains its explosive
growth. The newest Commoner is Mark Resch
<http://creativecommons.org/about/people#33>, the overall CEO of
Creative Commons, a position we recently created to help coordinate our
increasingly rapid international growth and the opening of our new
Science Commons branch, to be led by new Science Commons Executive
Director John Wilbanks <http://creativecommons.org/about/people#34>.
Creative Commons’ long-time leadership team, led by Executive Director
Glenn Otis Brown, Assistant Director Neeru Paharia, and international
affairs directors Christiane Asschenfeldt and Roland Honekamp, will
continue on in more specialized versions of their roles. CEO Resch will
coordinate the activities of Creative Commons (Brown, Paharia), Science
Commons (Wilbanks), and the International Commons (Asschenfeldt) while
also driving development for the overall organization.

(b) Read the press release for the full explanation:
<http://creativecommons.org/press-releases/entry/5054>.

(c) More about Mark Resch:
<http://creativecommons.org/about/people#33>.

(d) More about John Wilbanks:
<<http://creativecommons.org/about/people#34>.

-----------

(4) INTERNATIONAL COMMONS

(a) We now offer nine country-specific versions of the Creative Commons
licenses: Austrian, Brazilian, Canadian (in French and English), Dutch,
Finnish, German, Japanese, Spanish (in Castilian and Catalan), and
Taiwan.

(b) Coming soon: We will announce and celebrate the releases of our
French licenses on November 19; our Belgian licenses on December 10;
and our Italian licenses on December 16.

(c) Another dozen countries are in draft, and several dozen more are in
the works. See <http://creativecommons.org/worldwide/>.

-----------

(5) SITE REDESIGN:

Certainly by now you've seen our slick new site design, courtesy of our
own Matt Haughey and the good people at Adaptive Path,
<http://adaptivepath.com>. It's not only lovely, it's many times easier
to navigate and use to find what you want. Give it a shot,
<http://creativecommons.org>, and read more about the site's many new
features, <http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4479>.

-----------

(6) RECENT PRESS HITS

ABC Radio National (Australia):
http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/buzz/stories/s1240991.htm

Los Angeles Times (U.S.) :
http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-p2p30oct30,1,2705246.story?
coll=la-headlines-technology

San Jose Mercury News (U.S.):
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/business/10126944.htm

The Calcutta Telegraph (India):

Reuters (UK):
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?
type=internetNews&storyID=6705733&section=news

National Public Radio (U.S.):
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4129100

Newsweek/MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6186259/site/newsweek/

Future Tense with John Gordon (radio) (U.S.):

Associated Press (U.S.):
http://www.forbes.com/business/feeds/ap/2004/10/10/ap1584258.html

MTV News (U.S.):
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1492293/20041015/eminem.jhtml?
headlines=true

Earplug (U.S.): http://www.earplug.cc/mailer/issue33/index.html

Wall Street Journal (U.S.): http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4413

NY Times (U.S.):
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/25/arts/music/25BYRNE.html?
ei=5070&en=059e8daf4441a6a5&ex=1100667600&adxnnl=1&oref=login&adxnnlx=11
00542579-PohgJpQitLdlVlyXQX4I3A

CNET (U.S.):
http://news.com.com/Copyright-sharing+group+delves+into+science/2100
-1025_3-5447531.html

Sydney Morning Herald:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Breaking/Creative-Commons-taking-shape-in-
Australia/2004/11/09/1099781367734.html?oneclick=true

----------

(7) MORE: Developments to watch

(a) The Creative Commons Publisher: Your desktop gateway to CC
licensing -- and FREE hosting,
<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4507>. New versions with new
features due out soon.

(b) The Developing Nations License: "Some rights reserved" across
geography, soon to spawn many interesting projects,
<http://creativecommons.org/license/devnations>.

(c) Creative Commons on the Radio: Benjamen Walker's "The Creative
Remix," a lawyer-free discussion of recombinant art, will air on
Chicago's WBEZ on December 19 at 5pm. See
<http://radio.creativecommons.org/>.

(cc) SOME RIGHTS RESERVED
This newsletter is free to copy and build upon under the terms of this
Creative Commons license: <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0>.

Glenn Otis Brown
Executive Director
Creative Commons