[cc-devel] Build Bot Beta

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Mon Nov 12 03:35:24 EST 2007

I've set up a demo ("beta") Build Bot to try to help us catch software
errors sooner.  The demo install is available, running very slowly on my
desktop machine in the CC San Francisco office, at
http://labs.creativecommons.org/~paulproteus/buildbot/ .

I'm inspired by Hubert telling us that some of our checks in the
liblicense makefile probably never passed.  One way to make sure that
errors in our code don't go unnoticed is to add checks for those errors,
and to make sure that every version of the software passes those tests.
(If a version does not, then we know what to fix!)  I'm starting with
liblicense.

Are there particular projects that people on this list (both CC staff and
community members) think we should be adding tests for, and running those
tests frequently?  Just let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Relatedly, if you have some experience running Buildbots, let me know; my
first question is, what's the normal way to handle making sure the build
dependencies are installed on build slaves?

I think that one of my next targets will be WpLicense - it will be nice to
check that it works with the current version of WordPress and WP MU and
Lyceum automatically.

-- Asheesh.

--
The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go
to erase it.