[cc-devel] License Metadata Extraction and Search, Summer of Code

Jason K jkivlighn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:18:25 EDT 2007

I'm looking into adding support for searching/indexing licenses for a
service such as Tracker, Beagle, or Strigi for a Google SoC project.  My
first hurdle though, is picking which indexer.  The ideal service would
be cross-desktop, to avoid implementing extraction filters over and over
again for different indexers.  It also needs to be widely adopted.

Tracker is looking like a good candidate, given that it is a
Freedesktop.org project, is desktop-neutral, and appears to have the
intention of following standards as well as creating standards for other
search services to use.  I get the impression GNOME will be including
this soon.

Strigi is also desktop-neutral, though favored by KDE and is going to be
used by KDE 4.  It doesn't rely on KDE, though.  In fact, Strigi's only
requirements are are the stdc++ libraries, while Tracker is glib-based.

And for Beagle, Mono is one significant reason I'm shying away from it.
Tracker or Strigi appear more interoperable and look to be getting wider

Formats I plan to include are:
  HTML, SVG, SMIL, XML in general (RDF)
  PDF, JPEG, other images (XMP)
  MP3, OGG, other audio/video

>From what I've seen, most license data is either in RDF or XMP form.
MP3, OGG, and RSS are exceptions.  For all these formats, I would follow
the embedding specification on the Creative Commons website, at

Since most licenses are placed in RDF or XMP, that code can be separated
and reused from various extraction modules.

So enough rambling... thoughts?

-Jason Kivlighn