[cc-devel] License Metadata Extraction and Search, Summer of Code

Jason K jkivlighn at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:18:25 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm looking into adding support for searching/indexing licenses for a
service such as Tracker, Beagle, or Strigi for a Google SoC project.  My
first hurdle though, is picking which indexer.  The ideal service would
be cross-desktop, to avoid implementing extraction filters over and over
again for different indexers.  It also needs to be widely adopted.

Tracker is looking like a good candidate, given that it is a
Freedesktop.org project, is desktop-neutral, and appears to have the
intention of following standards as well as creating standards for other
search services to use.  I get the impression GNOME will be including
this soon.

Strigi is also desktop-neutral, though favored by KDE and is going to be
used by KDE 4.  It doesn't rely on KDE, though.  In fact, Strigi's only
requirements are are the stdc++ libraries, while Tracker is glib-based.

And for Beagle, Mono is one significant reason I'm shying away from it.
Tracker or Strigi appear more interoperable and look to be getting wider
adoption.

Formats I plan to include are:
  HTML, SVG, SMIL, XML in general (RDF)
  PDF, JPEG, other images (XMP)
  MP3, OGG, other audio/video
  RSS

>From what I've seen, most license data is either in RDF or XMP form.
MP3, OGG, and RSS are exceptions.  For all these formats, I would follow
the embedding specification on the Creative Commons website, at
http://creativecommons.org/technology/usingmarkup

Since most licenses are placed in RDF or XMP, that code can be separated
and reused from various extraction modules.

So enough rambling... thoughts?

-Jason Kivlighn