[cc-devel] Announcing JsWidget 0.1

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at creativecommons.org
Thu Jul 19 19:37:45 EDT 2007

I've been working for the past week or so on a JavaScript licensing widget
that has been suggested on our wiki
<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/JsWidget>.  It's a new way to integrate
CC licensing into your web application.  It's really as easy as pie: Just
add the following tag somewhere in the body:

<script src="http://api.creativecommons.org/jswidget/tags/0.1/complete.js"
/>

and a CC licensing widget will appear.  Your web application can then use
regular DOM queries to determine the user's choice.

NOTE that this is not ready for prime-time use!  I want feedback on what
people would like us to add or change.  Right now it serves only
English-language text; in the future you will be able to do
src=".../complete.js?locale=", stick your language code at the end, and
get text back in your language.  Beyond translation, tell me how else I
can be of service!

You can download a trivial sample application and a long-ish README at our
SourceForge project:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=80503&package_id=239510
.  For y'all's (in)convenience I've attached the README here, too.

It'll take you all of five minutes to deeply understand what's going on,
so I suggest you do if you're thinking about (or if you already are)
offering CC licensing to users of web applications you work on.

-- Asheesh.

P.S. Hi everyone, I was an intern last summer but now I'm a real tech guy
at CC.  Pleased to meet you all!

--
"I only touch base with reality on an as-needed basis!"
 		-- Royal Floyd Mengot (Klaus)