[cc-devel] Media Hosting Wishlist

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Thu Apr 19 20:18:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:23 -0400, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Also, one sore point I've heard a lot lately is that many people who share
> their work under CC licenses don't make it clear how they should be
> attributed.  For example:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ has the text,
> "You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or
> licensor"
>
> Well, what's the name to use for this photographer?  "Joi"?  "joi at flickr"?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/455919219/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joi/ ->
> http://www.flickr.com/people/joi/ has the text, "About Joi / Joi Ito".
>
> Which is the one formally specified for attributors to use?

It isn't formally specified in this (or most) cases.  Not deployed much
yet, but there is the option to annotate your license notice to specify
the URL and name to be used for attribution, you can generate such a
statement at

http://labs.creativecommons.org/dhtmllicense/

--
  http://wiki.creativecommons.org/User:Mike_Linksvayer