[cc-devel] Exif is dead, long live XMP

B.K. DeLong bkdelong at pobox.com
Thu Aug 24 14:40:34 EDT 2006

At 02:21 PM 8/24/2006, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
>I'm thinking that because embedded video metadata practically does not
>exist (note "practically") that rather than attempting to come up with
>specs for CC embedding in every video format we help come up with specs
>for XMP embedding in every format.

Funny you mention that - I was looking into doing just that while I
was at MIT with the incredible library of metadata we collected for
the OpenCourseWare project. It should be possible to embed XMP into
JPGs, TIFFs, GIFs, PNGs, and PDFs. It would be nice to be able to do
the same, because of the XML/RDF format, in audio files but an XSLT
should be able to convert ID3v2 data into what is needed after
extracting it from the file.

We were just getting into video when I left so I didn't delve much
into XMP in RM and QT but I'm sure since they both have the space for
captioning that metadata shouldn't be TOO challenging.

--
B.K. DeLong (K3GRN)
bkdelong at pobox.com
+1.617.797.8471

http://www.wkdelong.org         Son.
http://www.haloworldwide.com            Work.
http://www.bostonredcross.org           Volunteer.
http://www.brain-stream.com             Play.

PGP Fingerprint:
38D4 D4D4 5819 8667 DFD5  A62D AF61 15FF 297D 67FE

FOAF:
http://foaf.brain-stream.org