[cc-community] Collections

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Jan 22 14:16:34 EST 2012

On Sunday 22 January 2012 13:36:38 Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> > Let's say you include an ARR quote in a BY-SA work without properly
> > indicating what is what. Could another person come along and pull that
> > quote out thinking it is by-sa and use it in another work in a way that
> > would be ok under a by-sa license but would not be considered a fair use
> > of the ARR work in its new home?
>
> They could.  But it would be a copyright infringement to do so.
>
> > And with felonies and jail time and all the other fun dangers coming into
> > play these days...
>
> Oh please.  No one is going to be charged with a felony or face any
> jail time for such obviously accidental infringement.

So you say. Do you run things?

I have been assured by a local lawyer that under our new laws, you can go to
jail for 4 or 5 years for simple possession of a knock off cd or dvd disk.
One which you bought in good faith from a still operating store in your city.
Oh and plus a fine of more than $20,000 dollars for possession of that one
copy. (You being someone living in the country where I do.)

Don't ask me to trust to such common sense theories holding. I see common
sense being thrown out of the window more and more every day.